On July 18, 1957 the Libertyville Village board, spurred by complaints and disturbances at the gravel pit, asked the owner of the property to grant broad regulatory powers to the village. Instead, the newly organized Libertyville Boat Club came forward to accept the challenge of managing the lake and a portion of the shoreline. Lake Minear Beach became a reality. Since that eventful summer in 1957, the Libertyville Boat Club has cleared brush and overgrowth to provide sandy beaches and grassy picnic areas. The property has been fenced for safety. Since 1985, a conservation program has been ongoing, resulting in the addition of berms, plantings, trees and picnic areas as well as the restoration of the shoreline for erosion control.
The story of Lake Minear Beach is ongoing. It is the story of a special place that people in the greater Libertyville area have traditionally gone to recreate, relax and enjoy life with each other. This tradition needs to continue to be a part of our lives, our children’s lives as will as those that follow them. If you would like to volunteer and help keep Lake Minear going, please go to the volunteer page for information.